The pros recommend that you seal your granite countertops at least once a year but twice is better. Sealing your precious countertop protects from spills, stains, bacteria and mold so it’s important that you don’t ignore this process.
You must first select the sealant of your choice. Here are some tips to buying the perfect sealant:
· Usable on all stone surfaces
· Coverage of 160-180 square feet per quart
· Dries invisible with no altering of stones color
· Quick drying time of 5-10 minutes
*Tenax Stone Sealer checks off all of the above features if you’d like to save yourself some time on researching products. We recommend buying the Tenax Hydrex Impregnating Sealer Kit because it comes with application tools and full instructions.
Once you bring your selected sealant home, here are the steps for application:
1. Clean your countertop [see blog post 1/28/16 for the perfect cleaner]
2. Obtain a clean, dry, lint-free cloth
3. Wet the cloth with sealer and wipe down the surface of your countertop (Make sure to include the edges and backsplash)
4. Let the first coat dry for about 10 minutes
5. Apply a second coat and wait another 10 minutes for it to dry
*Try to wait a full 24 hours before you prepare any food on the countertop to ensure the sealing process has “taken”.